Thursday 8 February 2018

Whooper Swans of the LDV

Wednesday 7th

The forecast lived up to it's billing...thankfully!

I arrived at NDC around 9.30 to still, cold yet gloriously sunny conditions. The initial scan of the panorama from the Geoff Smith hide revealed only a couple of yellow-billed Swans...of the Whooper variety!

There were plenty of birds present on this wonderful landscape. The water level was perfect, although small parts were frozen which concentrated the birds somewhat. I was determined to enjoy what promised to be a superb winter's day.

A Black-tailed Godwit (44) was a nice surprise flying over the river with Lapwings. Sign of Spring, coupled with an Oystercatcher (45) A nice flock of mobile Ruff (15) wheeling around the reserve are always a nice, if expected bonus. A Water Rail (46) squealed from the reeds.

Down to Garganey hide. Nothing added until the return walk when a small bird was glimpsed hopping around on a large tree trunk...Treecreeper (47)! Definitely an unexpected addition.

Lunch in Selby...as usual.

As I returned to the hides I noticed a group of Swans on Bubwith Ings. They had to be Whoopers. Now then...I usually stay 100% loyal to NDC but the chance of close views of these wonderful birds was just too much of a pull. After parking at Bubwith bridge I started to walk the short distance (thankfully) North...without Bud!


I'd only gone 100yds when I looked back to see a chap following me with three dogs...not ideal.

Onward.

Next news one of the dogs is stood next to me! Ah well. It didn't stop me enjoying great views of three family parties...






A good decision. Everything had fitted into place. It's not easy to get close to these magnificent birds. They ooze wildness. The way they move and sound over the Ings is simply magical. I've been watching them here for over 30 years and I have to say it's my favourite place to be. Sure I like migration, the odd twitch and foreign holiday BUT the simple pleasure I get from the North Duffield Carrs/ Bubwith area is very special indeed. The Whooper Swan is the signature species. To think they've been returning here to winter for many, many years and continue to do so in this modern era of habitat destruction is a marvellous thing to behold. No easy pickings at the Wetlands Centres (new name apparently) for these birds. Natural feeding in natural surroundings. Superb!!!

The last couple of hours were spent back in the GS Hide. The hoped for Barn Owl never materialised but I did add Lesser Black-backed Gull and 2 superb male Goldeneyes (irregular here).

Around 4pm a group of mature birders entered the hide and asked about the Whoopers. They said they'd seen some Swans flying over the river onto the Carrs as they walked up from Garganey Hide. I confirmed that they were indeed Whooper Swans. I told them that more would almost certainly arrive to roost. They didn't linger.

They should have...





Always a spectacular sight and a fitting end to a great day...

34 species seen


NDC Year 55

No comments: