Wednesday 28 February 2018

A glimmer of hope

Britain is being battered at the moment and living on the East Coast we're getting our far share of the fun!?

I've been trying to keep the exercise going in between the snow showers and gale force winds. I have to say though that I've wimped out most of the time and retreated to the warmth of the car...mobile Birding!

Significant records are hard to come by at this time of year...but I try.

Around 3pm I decided to have a drive around the Village. As I drove towards the cliff I noticed a flash of welcome colour amongst the gloom...Bullfinch male. I also spotted an accompanying female/imm? The views were brief but conclusive. I turned the car around and headed for the main road. I stopped by the litter bin to do my good deed for the day and was rewarded by 2 more male ...Bullfinches!


As I was trying to get the above image I noticed a pale shape in the field behind...

Barn Owl (P.56, H.41)
I've spent many hours trying to add the Owl to my Village year list, so this was a special moment, especially as it was actually in the centre of the Village! It's only the second time I've seen one so centrally since I moved here 5 years ago.

As I made my way back to the car I got the icing on the cake when a Woodcock (P.57, H.42) flew over!!!


Still plenty of action in the yard. The MEGA hasn't arrived yet but I've got some fine looking and very plump, male Blackbirds.

No comments: