Saturday 17 February 2018

NDC

Arrived at 9.30 to sunny yet raw conditions. Parts of the reserve still frozen but predictably only the sheltered southern edge.

I decided to start at the far hide, giving us both a stretch. Plenty of birds tucked in to the SW corner including a surprising number of Black-headed Gulls. Even more surprising was a record personal count of 105 Pochard. I later found a single drake Goldeneye.

I stayed down in Garganey Hide all morning and added Marsh Harrier to my year list.

After the chip butty I returned to the Geoff Smith hide for the afternoon vigil. Andy Walker had found 2 juv Iceland Gulls yesterday afternoon so I was hoping to add this long overdue species to my Duff life list! 3 Buzzards provided continuous entertainment as the Gulls started to drift in.

Chris Gomersall entered the hide on the same mission. No joy by 5, so we headed for the car park.

I added.. 

Pochard
Marsh Harrier
Barn Owl
Pied Wagtail
Song Thrush

..............................

News of a possible/probable SIBERIAN RUBYTHROAT in that well-known South Yorkshire hotspot Barnby Dun!?

I won't be going.

Who cares? Nobody... except me!

No comments: