Sunday 17 December 2017

Thrush Rush

A delayed post due to HAWK OWL nonsense last night!!!

Saturday

Finding birds can be difficult (to say the least) at this time of year. There are quality sightings to be had though...with perseverance!

My pal Gavin had a male Hen Harrier at Skeffling morning...nice one pal! Amongst other personal targets are Glaucous and Iceland Gulls. However, my time is nearly up, so I played safe and spent some quality time with the magnificent flock of winter thrushes at Stone Creek.

I made two visits. The first at dawn were I was greeted with three Barn Owls! A scattering of Curlew, Lapwing and Golden Plover was nice. I couldn't locate any thrushes for a while so I headed north from the Humber. Then...there they were. It's VERY difficult to be accurate numbers wise as they were scattered far and wide in various swirling flocks. The Fieldfares are far more apparent as the Redwings tend to stay hidden in the hedges. BOTH species are very sensitive...I can vouch for that!


No dashing around...just seeing what came my way...nice!



Very difficult to approach...even in the car. A grand sight though.

Over lunch I nearly grabbed a decent pic of a Buzzard that was hunting the verge near Patrington...


Plenty of Plovers still around also.

Back down to SC.

Saturday afternoon means Footy...so I settled in and again waited...and waited. Many birds...all distant...


I was confident my turn would come...eventually.

Promising...



Around 3.30 a large mixed group descended on the bushes next to me. Bingo...





A fitting last session spent with two wonderful species before my enforced lay off...


No comments: