Thursday 7 December 2017

Texas 17 - Day 22

Negotiated an 11am departure from Galveston after a final coffee and chocolates at La King's at 10.30. So, up at 5 and back on the Ferry to arrive on the Bolivar at dawn. Thankfully no fog today.

My main focus in the 90 minutes I had was to try again for American Oystercatcher. It's a local but elusive species. Alas, it proved too elusive for me once again (I did have great views last year).

I did have a wonderful walk out onto the famous Bolivar Flats Sanctuary. Thankfully it's another area of habitat safeguarded for future generations.

I enjoyed the sunrise...I don't say that very often!


Again...plenty of birds here...


Avocets of the American kind...
 
 

A distant Reddish Egret...


More Nelson's Sparrows...

Must be a good year!
A bathing Long-billed Curlew...



My time was up. I couldn't find any Snowy or Piping Plovers which was both surprising, disappointing...and maybe slightly embarrassing. I blame it on my time window...or exhaustion!

My last trip tick came on the return Ferry crossing in the form of a Red-breasted Merganser...

For the record
That's it then. Hope you found something of interest. I'll do a numbers post and a summary ASAP.

Tuned out!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Just caught up on your trip, another great one, I always enjoy reading!

Alan Whitehead said...

Thanks Pam. Glad you liked it.