Friday 22 December 2017

2017 - ebbing away

As I lie here at 2.30am in my hospital bed regretting having had a nap this morning, I thought I'd share a few thoughts!

Reading Birdy stuff on-line I get a distinct impression of disappointment amongst the community.

A grim Autumn migration, a series of escapes ("no birds kept in captivity anymore!!!"), far to many "bird shit ID's", hoaxes and errors.

On a personal note I added 2 stonking birds to my British list... AMERICAN REDSTART and AMUR FALCON ( which has to be one of my finest twitching moments).

Diminishing returns bites hard as you age BUT enjoyment can still be had if you tailor things to your requirements. I'm still getting fine adjustments to my plan!

Numbers/targets are fine BUT appreciation and conservation are far more important. There are a lot of people doing fine work out there.

Changing deep seated "traditional" practices is VERY difficult BUT change can be had... with perseverance...and bravery!

Hope HAS to spring eternal. It's very hard sometimes when you read about killing of Birds, Badgers and Foxes, litter and pollution, you just feel so helpless. Donations are one way of helping...CABS are doing a marvelous job as is Chris Packham.

As I move into 2018 I will endeavour to remain positive, enjoy and appreciate the avifauna and find new ways to maximize my enjoyment of our wonderful pastime. Hope you will as well...if you haven't already!


2 comments:

Pam said...

I hope the op went well!

You have to have some hope don't you, otherwise the things just look too bleak. Here's to a positive 2018 :)

Alan Whitehead said...

Thanks Pam. Surgeon was happy. Onward...