Friday 14 October 2016

What to do...and where to go?

It was reasonable to assume that it would be rather busy down the road this morning!!!
 
There's an ALBATROSS still lingering out there somewhere? Has to be Flamborough again. I arrived a little late around 8 and made my way down to the Fog horn station. I looked to my right and there was no-one looking for the Paddyfield Warbler, which I found strange? I peeped over and saw three stalwarts already in situ, Brett no doubt being one of them. I then changed my mind for no particular reason, although I'm not a great seawatching fan. I figured I'm in the right area and can hopefully respond if a sighting is made in the area. This wouldn't have helped much if it had been Flamborough itself!
 
Anyway I wanted to do some general Birding so I headed for the Shorelark spot. I was joined by a nice chap from West Yorkshire who was staying at Filey for the week. We looked and looked but couldn't find them, although we did see some good birds. We had Twite and some cracking Brambling. We also saw a Short-eared Owl...
 
 
and a Woodcock come in-off-the-sea. Then a flock off distant Geese. White-fronts!
 
 
23 in total.
 
I did eventually find the 5 Shoelarks but it took some time. I'm afraid I weakened and hit the café again. Thoroughly recommended. Good job I don't live nearby. A message...
 
Pied Wheatear Flamborough Head!
 
That's handy. It would have been if the bird hadn't flown off! Tony Dixon was on site however and he managed to digiscope the bird...
 
 
Ah well, time to head back South. My plan was to re-visit the SA when things had quietened down. I was tempted by the Bean Geese and eventually fought my way through the crowds to see them...
 
Another message...
 
Pallas's Warbler Holmpton at south end of Taylor Lane!
 
Time to return home. As I was passing the star bird I thought it would be rude not to take another peek. No crowd now, so I walked in and was right at the front...the light was poor but the bird was VERY close...
  
 
I was joined by Richard Boon who also lives on the lane. No, we didn't see it nor the Red-breasted Flycatcher that was seen by Graham Speight. Great to finally meet and talk to Graham after all these years. A great bloke. He told me how hard it was to work the Village as he had done so for many years. He also told me some of his better records and best spots to search. His words inspired me.
 
I also bumped into another Birder from Lancashire and we had a good chat about Patch Birding and the satisfaction of "finding your own". Another great lad.
 
Maybe tomorrow...
 
...............................................................................

My Bubo Patch has an usual look to it with a double SIBERIAN ACCENTOR update! I have to say that the Shetland experience and location was far superior to the Easington old school...if a tad more expensive! I also thought the Shetland bird was better marked and was generally brighter, even allowing for the better weather...
 
 
Not that anyone connecting with the latter bird will care about that. I wouldn't! Just saying...
 

No comments: