Monday 17 October 2016

Busy times

Popped up to Grimston after breakfast to view Tim Isherwood's Siberian Stonechat. I didn't realize it was in his garden! I had a good chat with him and his wife. We shared stories of Texas. The bird was distant but here's a record shot...
 
 
The rest of the morning was spent with the better half walking on the beach with Bud near the runnel. I still managed a quick look at 6 Ringed Plover.
 
I then drove down the road to see a few things...hopefully.
 
A pale Wheatear had been confirmed as an ISABELLINE, a great find by John Grist. I saw the 1990 bird (21st October) , yes, I am that old! This wasn't my priority however as a Spurn tick was on offer in the form of a Glossy Ibis (P.156, S.136). It was very mobile and the last report had me walking along Canal Bank scanning the saltmarsh.
 
It's out there somewhere...
 
 
There was no sign of the bird but messages on the radio told me it was still present. It was associating with a Little Egret, I could only see one so I concentrated on this area. After around 20 minutes it gave itself up, this was my 275th species for the Spurn Area...
 
 
The bird seemed agitated and sure enough a short time later it took off and flew south down the peninsular...
 
 
Just made it!
 
Bit peckish by now so I thought I'd call in at the shop, only to find that is was closed...permanently! There was a notice on the door thanking customers for there support over 40 plus years. I always found the owners very friendly every time I called in. I hope they enjoy their retirement.
 
Seeing as I was I Easington I decided to pay the superstar (found by Lance Degnan) another visit, reckoning the crowd by now would be much smaller, it was. It had moved location to the Gas Terminal perimeter fence (more secure!). It was difficult to view through the tiny mesh but I managed a couple eventually...
 
 
 
I bumped into Tony Dixon who'd travelled down from Brid' for the Wheatear. John Harriman was also present.
 
Onto the IW. I made my way along the coastal path after a quick word with Mick Turton. The crowd was small by now and the bird was distant. I wanted to spend some time studying the bird for when I find one at Holmpton lol! It's easier when you know what it is. It did seem pale and sandy but a pale female or young Wheatear especially of the Greenland race can look remarkably similar. The tail pattern is diagnostic showing a broad black band with a short T. Even at extreme distance the bird's erect posture and paler wings were apparent, also a peach throat...
 
 
I felt it seemed stockier and had a stronger bill...
 
 
Again I repeat...easy in Hindsight!
 
The strong bill and paler wings are clear to see here. Black alula not that apparent.
 
ISABELLINE WHEATEAR (P.157, S.137)
 I wanted to try and get a decent view of the Shorelarks that had been frequenting the Blue Bell car park. No sin on arrival but I was told by a few Birders they had been showing brilliantly earlier! I had a walk down the coastal footpath to the seawatching hide but no sign. On my return to the car park a Black Redstart was showing in the Caravan Park...
 
 
The rain arrived...
 
 
...so I decided to wait it out in the car park hoping they would re-appear. They did...
 
Shorelark (P.158, S.138)
 Great to see this wonderful species again after a dearth of records in recent years.
 

No comments: