Saturday 28 February 2015

Serious Playtime!

Well that's it! Work done...now it's time to PLAY!!

We leave (very) early on Sunday from Manchester. Still, who cares, by mid-afternoon we'll be landing in Palma, Mallorca. Pick the car up and a short drive North to our hotel between Puerto Pollensa and Alcudia. Exact location already mentioned... but I'll mention it again...backing onto the Albufereta Marsh. I'm going to ask for a room overlooking it. Can't imagine it will be full. I hadn't realised it's the first day of their season! Hope there's not to many teething problems?

I'm satisfied with my planning (almost as much fun as doing it!). Major help from Mike Montier on the Mallorca Birdforum thread...thanks Mike. Information also obtained from Hugh Matthews and Martin ? (didn't give his surname).

I aim to cover most parts of the island. Also, as previously stated, I realise it's very early in the year but the plan is to get some sun (there I've said it now) and enjoy some of the special resident birds. There's always the chance of some early migrants.

I can just about remember some of the spectacular scenery in the north of the island...it was 1988 when my two lads were toddlers!

Special birds of interest for me, for a variety of reasons, are as follows...

Marbled Duck
Red-crested Pochard
Ferruginous Duck
Balearic Shearwater
Scopoli’s Shearwater
Greater Flamingo
Glossy Ibis
Little Bittern
Egyptian Vulture
Griffon Vulture
Black Vulture
Bonelli's Eagle
Booted Eagle
Purple Swamphen
Red-knobbed Coot
Audouin's Gull
Scops Owl
Wryneck
Moustached Warbler
Dartford Warbler
Balearic Warbler
Sardinian Warbler
Firecrest
Spotless Starling
Hoopoe
Bluethroat
Blue Rock Thrush
Rock Sparrow
Alpine Accentor
Crossbill
Hawfinch
Cirl Bunting

That lot should keep things interesting.

I hope to report most evenings but can't promise. I hope I can provide something of interest for you...

This little chap should be up and singing for a start...

Balearic Warbler

No comments: