Saturday 23 March 2013

Spurn LIFER!

Hadn't been down to Spurn for a while so I had a ride down this morning. Still acclimatizing to the new job (late shift tonight) so took it easy birding mainly from the car. The biting east wind also had something to do with this strategy!

After the obligatory dog walk I settled down by the triangle and had a scan. Plenty of Curlew present, a couple of Greylags...and a CANADA GOOSE!!! This takes my Spurn list to 257. It proves again that a common bird can be scarce, if you get my drift?! This was also my century for the patch year list.


Keep it under your hat but this was my first record for Spurn. Again, in my defence, I've only lived in the area for 15 months!

Quick look down the peninsular revealed this...


I then moved on to Kilnsea Wetlands (massive potential here) and spent a pleasant hour viewing from the car (out of the scything wind). I couldn't pick out the Black Brant but there was plenty of action.

Maybe it's in there somewhere!


A closer look

Large numbers (c750) Starlings feeding in tight groups...


Plus good numbers of Waders including Lapwing, Golden Plover, Redshank and Curlew...

Dodgy bill on the bird on the left

The above post relates to yesterday as I didn't have time to finish it before work.

Went out this morning. Dog exercised, Birding postponed until Siberian wind abates! One of our local Rooks looked well as I parked the car...



Late news - Got a text of Phil to say he'd now seen 2 Lapland Buntings at the Sewage works...

No comments: