Thursday, 8 October 2026

Winter Wildfowl arrivals and Late Additions

One of the highlights of my Birding Year is trying to catch some Swans and Geese migrating over my Village.

I've had one or two distant Pink-footed Geese skeins over the Sea but no real numbers...yet. Reports of Whooper Swans further North had me at the Sewage yesterday morning for a few hours without luck. I did add Manx Shearwater (P.114, H.92) to the Year List.

I returned for lunch as the weather deteriorated even more...if that was possible! The forecast predicted things would clear by 2. Around 1.30 Louise suddenly pointed out of the Lounge window. I was on my Laptop with my headphones in. "Swans" she cried. I untangled myself but by then they'd passed. She reckoned c20. I'll stick my neck out and say Whoopers? I drove swiftly up to Cliff Farm but they were long gone. Gripped by the Good Lady! To see some from the House would have been special. I did once see a flock over Withernsea Tesco and followed them back along the Holmpton Road! Years ago I had some over my head at Wilberfoss on a Dog walk at Dusk. No doubt Birds from the LDV leaving. Magnificent, tough Birds.

No Swans or Geese then BUT after a visit to With' for some fuel (I tried not to cry), I visited the Sewage once more on my return...


As I approached the Cliff I noticed a Bird perched on a weed through the drizzle...

Perky!

I had my Year Wheatear (P.115, H.93) for the Village...at last! Checking eBird I discovered this was my latest ever sighting for the Village beating my previous on the 5/10/17. Better late than never. Things got even better as I turned the corner and saw THREE in close proximity!!


It was comical to see them bathing in the drizzle...


I decided to make the most of this event and spent a good hour with the trio enjoying there performance from the car. They were fairly mobile but allowed me some further close views eventually...







More images than usual but I thought they were worth it. Hope you enjoyed them...



No sign of them...or much else, this morning...

No comments: