This will be my 27th Autumn on Scilly...quite a thought! I've also done a few "Twitches" over the Years....including a double whammy in 2004...CREAM-COLOURED COURSER 30th September and OVENBIRD 28th October.
If you've followed me for any length of time (for which I'm very grateful) you'll have seen me listing my major sightings there, so I won't be doing that again (I may name drop one or two in this summary). Many are on my List in the left hand column.
I fell in love with the Islands on my first visit in 1991, camping on the Garrison. It wasn't a great decision as my tent was useless! This followed on from a horrendous crossing in the Scillonian in a Force 8! I was younger then... obviously. I survived, making some new acquaintances and seeing some great Birds of course including SORA.
There were gaps in the 90's due to my young Family, although I did get a "pass out" in 96 for a 3 days to Twitch my only BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER on Tresco.
After meeting Louise in 2006 we've been most October's, increasing to a fortnight from 2012 on retirement from Teaching. Fortunately, she loves the peaceful tranquility, as do I. Granted, there can be the occasional period of pandemonium (with good reason) lol! Exciting though!
The close proximity of the Archepelago is a BIG plus for me. No driving (We will be hiring a cart but that doesn't count!), pleasant temperatures and fantastic scenery. Easy to pop on an inter-Island boat if need be. Great fun also. Securing her favourite apartment for the 2 weeks earned me huge bonus points! Some great lads choose Shetland...or both...but I'm happy here.
So... what will turn up this time? Checking my "previous record" dates, there are plenty of goodies possible after the 16th...if not a previous lingerer? Some stay for weeks, as did the SOLITARY SANDPIPER in 2000. It turned up on September 22nd...I saw it on its last day... October 21st!!
I often talk about "meaningful records". They ALL matter here.
We travel down on Thursday and we're on the first flight Friday... weather permitting. Happy Days...
No comments:
Post a Comment