Saturday 13 July 2024

Change is as good...

I opened the curtains this morning to see yet another grey, wet day. I'd had enough. I had to try and find some better weather. I couldn't go on holiday so I headed inland, away from the North Sea.

News came through that the Black-winged Pratincole was still present in the Finningley area. There had been much confusion regarding messages and opinions since the Birds arrival as to exactly where the Bird was located. 

Anyway, I arrived on Site and immediately bumped into Gary Dayes. It was good to see him as I hadn't seen him for quite some time. After a chat I made my way the (thankfully) much shorter distance to the Pool by the Sewage Works...

The Bird was performing on arrival, giving decent views at c100 yards. Jonathan Wasse, a fellow Cyprus stalwart was present with his Dad. It was good to see him again. Maybe we'll meet again next Spring? 

Thankfully the rain had abated which made the 60 minutes I spent there enjoyable. I was treated to a couple of prolonged flight views as the Bird fed over the water. The rest of the time it rested on a spit to the right with the Lapwings and was hidden most of the time, although it did give itself away on a couple of occasions...

One of my classic hand-held Phone-scopes!


The views through the Scope were MUCH better. I managed a decent flight shot despite the gloomy conditions, distance and speed of the Bird...



I returned home to heavy drizzle. What a horrendous Year we're having!!!

This is only my second record for Britain and my first for England (probably my 500th). My British Tick was in Scotland at Monikie Country Park, Angus 16/8/1996.

No comments: