Monday 22 April 2024

Rare Passage

Had my feet up mid-afternoon watching the Snooker when I received a tweet from one of the local York Birders. It included a distant pic of a phalacrocorax sp but it was impossible to determine which? I HAD to go, as it was a potential Duff Tick. 

75 minutes later I was opening the door to the Geoff Smith Hide. Chris Gomersal was present and had already decided the Shag was a Cormorant!

Ah well. I have seen Shag in the York Area. I saw a Bird at Wheldrake Ings on June 4th, 1989.

However, the journey was far from wasted. NDC was enjoying the Arctic Tern passage...in a BIG way. We estimated c50 Birds present but there would undoubtedly be more as Birds were leaving and dropping in as we scanned. It's impossible to be precise in these situations. Suffice to say this was a MEGA event for yours truly at his beloved Site...



I have only three previous records...
May 1st, 2004 - 3 Birds
May 4th 2012 - 12 Birds
April 13th 2024 - 1 Bird

Black-tailed Godwits




At least 50 Birds present and some summer plumage Ruff amongst them...



Amazingly another notable record came in the form of 5 Common Scoter (77) having a nap in the far NW corner! I've had worse hours. The watch was enhanced by still conditions, if a tad overcast.


The truncated evening dog walk on return, produced 7 Teal (67) offshore...


No comments: