Monday 1 April 2024

Cyprus 24 - Day 19

Spent the morning with Ian Bloomer who took me up into the Mountains. The scenery was spectacular and the company was excellent. We set off from Anarita at 9 after I'd had an hour down at Agia Varvara not seeing any Crakes!


I did see a small Bird fly off from the reeds...but?

We arrived at Vretsia around 10 and weaved our way down into the Valley in Ian's Grand Vitara which did the job admirably. Birding was very quiet as we reached the Hide. We scanned across the Valley but there was no sign of our target Bird/s. After around 20 minutes I picked a couple up over the feeding cages...


Griffon Vultures

We saw 5 in total.They were a considerable distance from us unfortunately but at least I saw some...


After having Lunch (kindly prepared by his Wife Kate) overlooking Asprokremmos Reservoir, we dropped down into Mandria to try for Stone Curlew. Ian and Kate had seen one here on the previous two days. Sure enough the Bird was still present in exactly the same place!?


He showed me a few more spots on the way back and at one of them Colin Richardson turned up. It was nice to see him again before my return home on Thursday. We enjoyed a nice chat before going our separate ways. He also mentioned Bill Stacey a good friend of his whom I'd Birded with on a previous Trip.

Mid-afternoon found us back at Mandria for a much needed drink. I searched the front but could only find a single Isabelline Wheatear. We returned to the apartment at 5, I dropped Louise off and headed back to Sandy Beach to try and see the gorgeous male Rock Thrush again. You can't have too much of a Bird like that...can you?

After some initial problems I was treated to the FULL show by this wonderful Bird. I watched the sun go down and had the Bird to myself. Bliss...


I have some more pics but I feel it would be a tad OTT to pile them on so soon after the others. Besides I'm absolutely exhausted tonight and we have another busy day tomorrow at Troodos.

Stay tuned...

Trip Total - 134 Species

No comments: