Monday 25 March 2024

Cyprus 24 - Day 12

On site 5.50...


7.51: After watching the pool and reeds till my eyes bled, a message from Matt Smith (who'd also been present for a while also and just left with a client)...

White-throated Kingfisher half-way down the Marsh in tree with yellow flowers.

I was down there quite quickly!!! Matt was looking out to a tree some 80 yds away...

LIFER!!!

I'm sure you can imagine...Moment and Context.

Many, many thanks to Matt Smith and his "eagle eyes", spotting it from his car! Definitely worth the 4.30 start. Yesterday's disappointment seems a distant memory all of a sudden. Elated!!!

Time for some proper Birding now...

7pm

Just got back after adding another Lifer in the form of a male SEMI-COLLARED FLYCATCHER at Asprokremmos Dam Wood...


...again found by Matt Smith!!! No pics on this one, just four brief sightings in three hours of an extremely mobile and elusive Bird. No matter...

WHAT A DAY!!!!!!

Absolutely shattered now as you can imagine...but VERY happy!

Just for the record while I was waiting for the WTK at the Western Marsh I had my first Ferruginous Duck of the Trip in the early morning light...

Nice light at 6.15

I also added Wood and Marsh Sandpiper plus Spotted Redshank. I did a run down the East side of the Peninsular before news of the SCF broke but nothing of note was seen at the Gravel Pits or Church...



Finally a few pics of yesterday's Long-legged Buzzard at Theletra Gorge...




Cyprus List - 223
Trip Total - 109 Species

No comments: