Saturday 16 March 2024

Cyprus 24 - Day 3

They can't all be great...Bird-wise! However, they ARE all great because we're in Cyprus!! The potential is immense.

We had a leisurely start this morning and went for a stroll along the Coastal Path, which turned out to be vastly improved from last Year...


We enjoyed a wonderful walk in excellent conditions. It was completely Birdless...until these two dropped in out of nowhere...


...they soon moved on.

After Lunch I made my way up into Paphos for a trim but nor before checking out last Year's Ruppell's Warbler bush across the road from our place...



Nothing yet but I'm confident. A successful jaunt took place thanks to Google Maps and an unusual dwelling was enjoyed to boot...

The Blue Shell House

I was returning to the Apartment when news broke...

ASIAN DESERT WARBLER at the Archaeological Site

It was worth another crack as I was only 15 minutes away. On arrival I saw a Birder sitting on a wall. I asked him if he was aware of the sighting and he told me he'd seen it some 50 minutes ago. I made my way around the path along the Perimeter fence...


... to the area in question...


No-one present on arrival. This is hard to comprehend having my "British" head on...I'm adjusting though! I was joined by a Welsh Birder, then a chap from Merseyside. We searched but no joy. Mark Askew arrived with his crew and Matt Smith who lives on the Island and guides. Eventually they all gave up and left me alone again. I gave it till 5 then headed "home"...BUT not before enjoying the late arrival of a significant flock (c100) of Spanish Sparrows...my only addition of a quiet day...



Another Feldegg was on the path...


Actually I tell a lie, as I had a lone Cormorant past the Headland.

Trip Total - 59 Species

Seeing as it was slow today, here's another pic of Thursday's Redstart...

What a Corker!

No comments: