Monday 14 August 2023

Stubble

 Not for me...I always shave...


Always a significant moment in the Birding Calendar; the beginning of "Autumn" for me. It's also easier to walk the Patch, although I'd much prefer it as it was in the past with smaller fields and more hedgerows. A bird flew, then landed and I could actually see it...

Meadow Pipit

A look over the Cliff...one bird...

Mediterranean Gull

Returning juvenile Willow Warblers are in evidence now. I've even had a couple of the yellow jewels from my armchair! One from the Cliff...


Flocks of Terns are also starting to head South and occasionally rest at low tide. Always an interesting challenge. Things are picking up...

...........................................................................................

A touch of self-indulgence...

On Saturday I was over in Bury doing a few jobs for my Mother. It got to 4pm and I decided on a whim to walk the cobbled streets (where I used to play as a lad) to Gigg Lane, home of the mighty "Shakers"...


You may know the tragic story of the unjust demise of this historic Club (1885)? Thankfully they are now back "home" albeit 6 levels lower! As I entered the Stand I was blown away by the attendance (4,115). I eventually found a seat and enjoyed a nostalgic 30 minutes remembering how the ground used to look as a lad. Obviously many changes BUT it's the same site... and the pitch looked fabulous...


A just reward for all the efforts put in by many volunteers over the past 2 years. I also bumped into a couple of old pals and had a lovely, if brief chat about times gone by. Loved it all, except the 3-1 defeat...that, to be honest, somehow didn't matter? I would have liked to have taken my Mother, who used to come to watch me every game many Years ago...but she just wasn't up to it, unfortunately.

Up the Shakers!!!

No comments: