Thursday 11 August 2022

"Autumn"

The last couple of days have kicked off "Autumn" in these here parts...and it was VERY welcome!

Yesterday morning we had a long walk on the beach in just about idyllic conditions...

Apart from a few groups of Oystercatchers heading South, nothing else of note was seen...until...a couple of Common Scoters powered North close in.

Around 5 I took a stroll down to the Cliff paddock. I walked down the path by the hedge from Seaside road to School lane...

A flash of red! That ain't no Robin...

Redstart male (P.111, H.99)

Chuffed to grab something in a brief show before it flew over the hedge. Things got even better when a male Pied Flycatcher (P. 112, H.100) made the same manoeuvre. Very Nice! Precious records indeed. The Redstart was my 6th for the Village and the Pied Fly was my 8th...for the record! The latter is my earliest "Autumn" sighting and the former my second earliest, after a bird on August 8th 2012.

This morning we did the Northern end.There was a mild "fret" but it soon burned off...

 I was rewarded with another Autumn first...

Wheatear

This is my first August record. Big surprise that! I also managed a Yellow-legged Gull (P.113, H.101) which alighted briefly on the beach. My 8th...


I did glimpse the Redstart again but the heat was strong now, so I went home to catch upon some stuff. I wasn't finished though. I returned to the hedge at 5...


It was great to enjoy prolonged views of this smart male in the evening sunshine, just a couple of hundred yards from the Cottage...a little cracker...


No comments: