Thursday 26 August 2021

WHITE-TAILED PLOVER

I prefer Plover! Another iconic species making its way onto the Yorkshire List

I was having another half-hearted Seawatch at the Sewage when I received a message off Phil...

Are you going for the Lapwing at Blacktoft? What Lapwing thought I? Then the news reached me...


MEGA East Yorkshire WHITE-TAILED LAPWING Blacktoft Sands from Townsend Hide


Ah ..THAT Lapwing!!!

I'd took Bud out and had all my gear so I took "Route 1" (a Quiz Ball reference from a programme long ago).

Traffic was predictably slow through Hull and the 40mph to the M62 didn't help!? As I wound my way down the narrow road from Goole I was hoping to get in and out before it got too crowded. Anyway I surprisingly found a space in the reserve car park and stumbled towards the hide in my dodgy sandals. The queue for the hide was thankfully small and within 5 minutes I was viewing the bird, albeit distantly...


I didn't overstay my welcome as there were plenty of frantic hopefuls pounding towards the hide! I passed plenty of familiar faces as the "who's who" of Yorkshire Birders were present. I left with Phil and returned home for Bud. If it lingers I could be tempted for seconds?

Looking at my records I was amazed to find out it was over 14 years since I saw my first at Caelaverock WWT. I remember getting a lift from School with a rather eccentric science teacher! An interesting, if frantic trip which included getting stuck behind some of the Appleby Fair caravans on the A66!! This beauty takes me to 395 for the County.

So, the incredible summer of 21 continues. Let's hope it continues into the Autumn...

No comments: