Friday 20 August 2021

One of those Days

If you watch a Patch you'll know how unpredictable sightings can be...I guess that's one of the attractions. That's what I keep telling myself anyway lol!

I try to vary my trudging as much as possible and my protective/territorial companion has a definite influence on proceedings.

Today started at Cliff Farm which is at the far South of my elasticated boundary. As we left the car to walk down towards Old Hive I noticed a dark "lump" in the freshly cut wheat field (I love stubble). It turned out to be my FOY Peregrine (H.121), a juvenile and possibly one of the Easington birds? It had no doubt already seen me and it immediately disappeared North and out of view. After a look in the copse (nothing of note) we made the return walk. Scanning the beach as ever I noticed another unusual "lump" in the distance...

Brent Goose (H.122)


Not a rare bird BUT definitely a special sighting when put into context. Things were going well. They go even better when a raptor flew over the car as I was leaving. A strikingly plumaged male Marsh Harrier...


...it veered North...


then West past Old Hive...


...things were going VERY well but the best was yet to come as I drove North to "the Sewage". We walked North towards "Intack" which is the Northern limit of my Patch. Still plenty of House and Sand Martins around which may have accounted for my major sighting of the day? 

I suddenly got the feeling I was being watched...

Merlin

No "Magic" pun...ah, too late!


The next 45 minutes or so were special as I observed this quality bird at various distances and angles as it switched positions along the Cliff. I feel the Sand Martins were definitely an attraction, which distracted it from my/our presence...



At one point it landed on the Cliff edge and remained there for quite some time. We had to eventually walk back past it and I was surprised (and pleased) that it never moved, allowing me to get some decent pictures...



Eyes of a Falcon

This was by far and away my best ever views of this fabulous Species, made even more special by its proximity to home. A memorable and VERY enjoyable day indeed!

No comments: