Saturday 17 April 2021

Things need to liven up!

Nothing seen locally today. So to...


Texas - on this date...

I've selected two of my favourite areas away from the Coast.

2001 - I had the pleasure of meeting the late June Osborne at Concan in the Hill Country. She was the local Birding expert and had written a guide on the area. I still have her book...


The two landmark species here are Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo. The two major sites are Neals Lodges at Concan and Lost Maples.S.P.

Lost Maples

Zone-tailed Hawk
Canyon Wren
Townsend's Solitaire
Scott's Oriole
Golden-cheeked Warbler

Neals Lodges

Olive-sided Flycatcher
Black-capped Vireo
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Chipping Sparrow
Black-throated Sparrow

2003 - I was in the majestic Big Bend N.P. I was on my lonesome at this time and covered a significant area of ground and climbed some impressive mountains.

Common Black Hawk - rare! It was breeding at Cottonwood Campground on the Rio Grande
Vermilion Flycatcher
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Bell's Vireo
Plumbeous Vireo
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
Colima Warbler - a bird only found here in the ABA area at Boot Springs
Wilson's Warbler
Pyrrhuloxia
Common Poorwill
Lesser Nighthawk
Clay-coloured Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow

I'm finding it cathartic to look back on these days. Hopefully there'll be a few more to come? Great memories.

.......................................................................................

I received this short video clip from a mate today. He'd been down to see the WHITE-THROATED SPARROW. The bonus being (as well as its pristine plumage) is, that it's singing...




No comments: