Saturday 10 August 2019

PACIFIC SWIFT - At last!

All things come to those who wait...well some at least...if you're still around!

It was 15/6/2013 when I made my way down to Trimly Marshes in Suffolk to try to see a PACIFIC SWIFT.

News came through that it was showing well, low over the Marsh. Of course, as I arrived it disappeared and was never seen again!

Fast forward to 14/10/2018 when I was sat on the bed, late in the afternoon, watching the Footy...
 
WHITE-RUMPED SWIFT

...turned out to be a first for Britain...Story here

...and now it's August 10th 2019. I was just getting into my car to take Bud when...

E.Yorks swift sp (with white rump) Hornsea Mere over west side of Swan Island at 9.25am

Change of plan!

I was getting mixed messages but I eventually decided to try the South side. I took the footpath but couldn't see any Birders? Eventually I was joined by a lad from Hull (apologies for my usual trick of forgetting his name). He said Tim Isherwood had tweeted something about viewing. I gave him a quick call and we were both soon with the gallery on Kirkholme Point. The bird had been seen a couple of times but wasn't showing. I reckon 20 Birders were present including Tim and Mark Thomas who I'd spent some time with on Shetland at the TENGMALM'S OWL twitch.

Birders were obviously arriving all the time including Tony Dixon, Trevor Charlton and Craig Thomas. Mark then picked it up distantly over the Island. I managed to get on it briefly, then it was gone. Fortunately it remained, albeit elusively, for the next hour or so until my departure. So, PACIFIC SWIFT added to WHITE-RUMPED at the same site within a year!!! British and County ticks. Amazing stuff and VERY handy/lucky.

BOC pic courtesy of Mark Thomas
NEEDLETAIL next!!!

No comments: