Monday 9 October 2017

Local Raptors

Another "one dayer" then. Cruel for those that travelled...and expensive...but that's how it goes. The Charter boys got away with it. More expensive BUT far quicker and much less wasted time if the bird has departed. Choices eh! It's a long drive to Aberdeen/North Coast!!

I became aware of the SBR from a brief Whatsapp message from Trev...F***! It conveyed the situation perfectly. He had a work commitment and I...well, you know the score. A truly superb bird BUT as said last night...not a good track record for lingering and an extreme skulker to boot.

Many online extolling the virtues of this dapper bird in it's naval uniform. Reminds me of another dream bird I'd love to see in Britain which just tops it for me...

Image result for black throated blue warbler images
BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER
........................................................................................

Had a record local count today. When I first started Birding in 1986 I had to travel to the far west of the County to see this bird. Nowadays they're no doubt breeding locally. As I got out of the car mid-afternoon I heard a familiar call. I looked up and saw 4 Buzzards circling above the lane. I managed to catch 3 of them...


A fine sight indeed.

Earlier I'd bumped into Richard Willison and Karl Dutton at Sammy's. Great to see them both. I was going to try for the Great Grey Shrike (a favourite) but Birders returning said it hadn't been seen for hours, so I declined.

At dusk I took Bud out down Snakey. Well blow me down I thought, as there were FIVE Buzzards feeding in the fine plough!!! A definite record count.

A couple of gloomy pics...


No comments: