Friday 1 April 2016

Texas 16 - Where was I?

I've decided to pick things up on the 26th, the day I birded Galveston Island. I started at dawn at Saint Louis Pass which is at the western end.

Plenty of Waders, Gulls and Terns present, many at close quarters. I managed to position myself away from the many fisherman that were present on this Saturday morning.

The first bird of note was a distant Reddish Egret...yet another "one of my favourite birds". The light was poor and the bird distant but it's always a delight to see. It also has a comical feeding action as it dashes around the shallows covering the water with it's wings to create a shadow from the glare. Great stuff!


He wouldn't come close however.


An interesting comparison of Royal and Caspian Tern...


Both magnificent species.

...and then there are the Skimmers...


Marbled Godwit...


After picking Louise up I tried the beach at the east end obtaining cracking close views of the large Terns.

Calling Caspo...


Alert Royal...


We had lunch in the Historic district...It's a fabulous area...




La Kings sweet shop...


I was concerned about the time I had left against the sites I wanted to visit. So, after lunch I decided to take the ferry to the Bolivar Peninsular and bird the western end. An hour wait to get on didn't help (Spring break).

Anyway, we eventually arrived...

Great design
We drove the 10 or so miles up to Rollover Pass. Another great Birding spot.

More tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

.



No comments: