Sunday 3 April 2016

Texas 16 - More Bolivar!

Having checked eBird the night before I wanted to try and add American Oystercatcher to my trip list. They were being reported on Frenchtown road which is the first road North when you leave the Ferry. We love the Ferry, especially because it's free as it's deemed part of the highway...

7.28am
It was a very steamy morning with a fairly thick fog which didn't bode well for viewing...


Half-light Laughing Gulls...

A permanent fixture on the crossing
Once off the Ferry we drove slowly along Frenchtown. A close Red-breasted Merganser raised the spirits but it was very foggy although warm.


My chances of seeing the AO looked slim. The road is lined with reeds and my thoughts turned to Rails. It was very quiet traffic wise so I decided to try driving slowly along the edge of the road. At least I could see far enough to look for them! Ironic really, being able to look for birds that are extremely difficult to see?

Nothing after 30 minutes and I was thinking of moving on as we had plenty of ground to cover (as usual). I then heard the sound of two stones being hit together. The distance a sound emanates from can be very deceptive, especially in fog. It seemed close but nothing was showing. I was using the car as I hide and viewing was limited. Then I looked down and there right by the car was this...

Sora
Memories of Scilly 1991!

I hoped it would grace us with a better view but it was feeding constantly within the vegetation. It's only an 8 inch bird! Louise was fascinated with the little sprite. Luckily we were eventually treated to better views...



Flushed by this success I decided to give it a while longer...with agreement from the boss of course! I could still here the stones? A Roseate Spoonbill was just viewable through the gloom...


We couldn't figure out just how distantly the noise was coming from. I showed Louise how similar Clapper and King Rail were. Then she said "is that one?!!!"

"I guess it is" I said...or something like that!


As you can see we got a great view of this secretive bird...or is it. Not sure if the sighting was diffused when it decided to walk across the road as we were leaving!!!


Now then...Clapper or King? I've ummed and ahhed over this one...but I'm going for Clapper.  Could be wrong, often am! Comments welcome.

One of the highlights of the trip. 2 Rails, both photographed! Nice.

Enough for now. More on my High Island/ Anahuac trip tomorrow.

Stay tuned...


No comments: