Friday 27 March 2015

The Depuradora!

8th March

The day started with a visit to the l'Albufera"old salt pans" on the main coast rd. I soon picked up the call of Moustached Warbler and had some decent if typically brief views. A Marsh Harrier drifted over the reedbed in the early morning light...



Onto the depuradora then! Put simply it's a water treatment plant with a series of concrete lagoons. Yet another possible site for Bluethroat...yet another "no show". A great spot though with plenty of wildfowl and waders plus a viewing platform! I enjoyed a pleasant couple of hours here while "the boss" read her novel in the sunshine.

I managed to pick up 6 drake and 3 female Garganey way over on the far side of the complex...


I was pleased to pick up my first Snipe of the trip snoozing in the grass underneath the platform...only took me an hour to spot them!


Green Sandpiper was also added.

I'd seen a pair of Hoopoes on an early morning reccy and was hoping they were still around as we left the area so Louise could see them. They were...


Louise needed some titivation time, so being a romantic I decided to try for Owls! I would have loved to have seen Scops Owl.  I went to the tried and tested site in PP but nothing...not a peep...or a hoot!

I did manage another wonderful Audouin's Gull on the beach however...

Cracker
Last day highlights to follow. It was quite a day!

No comments: