Friday 20 October 2017

YBC - Over the Rainbow?

MEGA Scilly YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO St Agnes at Covean on lawn opposite Grinlinton farmhouse at 9.35am

Scilly isn't what...never mind!

Tough one...in lots of ways. On the LAWN should have been a clue!!!!!

Firstly, I'm sat in Hull Bus station reminiscing over my Porthgwarra dip...sad but true! Very busy shift so (thankfully) not much time to stew. At lunchtime the word "moribund" appears:-

adjective: moribund

  1.  at the point of death.

    "on examination she was moribund and dehydrated"

    synonyms:dying, expiring, on one's deathbed, near death, near the end, at death's door, breathing one's last, fading/sinking fast, not long for this world, failing rapidly, on one's last legs, in extremis;
    informal with one foot in the grave
    "the patient was moribund"

Having had a brief peep (I like to keep it short) on social media the outcome is fairly predictable. A few old sages claiming it's a tart's tick or the dreaded "old hat". A few youthful chaps getting (understandably) over-excited...and later nobly qualifying their enthusiasm. Then, there's the hard guys (plenty of swearing) who can't see what all the fuss is about..."it's just a dying bird, if it's breathing tick it!" Hey, I've played at Anfield and Old Trafford you know...I've taken a few knocks and even heard some naughty language on occasion LOL!
Another classic...No-one can help the bird (or try to) as some Birders haven't seen it yet!!! The assumption that it's definitely "had it" is VERY convenient to the cavalry. Let nature take its course as it can't be taken into care = no tick!


If it had been an injured "common" sp would it have received attention?
 
 
I saw the OVENBIRD in 2004. Aren't I clever! That must make me pretty good eh!? Not at all. The bird was struggling and eventually expired. I was younger then (obviously) and got carried away with the moment, plus news was sketchy on departure as to the exact condition of the bird. It wasn't an enjoyable twitch. I also saw the CREAM-COLOURED COURSER on St Martin's the same year. The bird was fine initially, touring the islands but eventually became ill and perished on St Mary's. A different scenario altogether.
 
 
Let's face it, most rare birds have...an uncertain future. Cuckoos are notorious for expiring.
 
 
No Birder SHOULD enjoy seeing a bird in this state. How you deal with the ticking/listing side of things is up to the individual. For me...not interested. There are no guarantees on any twitch, that's what can make them...fun aka AMUR FALCON...just thought I'd get that one in! However, when you know from the onset that the bird is dying...where's the thrill/romance etc etc in that? I know...what a softy.
 
 
Yes, but it's a tick!!!?
 
 
I hope to see one in Britain one day. It's a beautiful species. I've seen plenty in Texas in wonderful surroundings, including 4 migrants in one tree at Sabine Woods on a beautiful Spring morning. Another reason I wish I'd seen the PG bird was the fact that it disappeared, like most rarities do. Yes, maybe to perish but again the romantic in me hopes they somehow continue to exist...somewhere else...over the rainbow...
 
 
Image result for yellow-billed cuckoo

No comments: