Sunday 29 March 2015

The last day (part 1)

9/3/2015

Today we did quite a  tour of the island. We started at another new site for me...Son Real. We parked and made our way through the farmyard. This is obviously a tourist attraction and further renovation was in progress. A smart bird was seen here but pretty sure I can't count it...


The walk to the beach was further than anticipated which meant a few stops for yours truly but we eventually made it. It was another superb morning, clear blue sky with no wind. Plenty more Sylvia Warbler habitat and this is supposed to be the only place on the island were you can see Dartford Warbler. No luck I'm afraid with this species or Balearic...plenty of Sardinian though...


Plenty of Thekla's on the beach...


I'd tried on at least half a dozen occasions for Cirl Bunting. You know how it is, you specifically target key birds and then you have a "should come across them" group. This was in that group but I hadn't come across it. I hadn't even considered Son Real as a possible site. We were almost back at the car when I noticed a small bird feeding on the grass by the livestock pools. There it was...a single bird. This sighting gave me as big a buzz as any on the whole holiday...

I got a bit fingers and thumbs on this occasion and the bird disappeared quickly but I did manage a few shots...

Against the sun but you can make out the face pattern
It was HOT when we reached the car around 11. From here we drove south as far as you can go to Cap de ses Salines. I was trying to visit as many sites as possible in a fairly leisurely way? This site is opposite the island of Cabrera and as a result is a top spot for seawatching. Both Shearwaters were again in evidence showing in small numbers fairly close. I also saw my first Gannet...


As previously mentioned on several occasions I'm not a Gull fanatic (Larophile). Certain species are special however for me. One exists on Mallorca. it's already featured in this report. I've seen it previously in Cyprus and mainland Spain. It's local on Mallorca but can be seen (fairly) easily at certain sites. I'd been watching the comings and goings for about an hour. Plenty of Yellow-legged Gulls drifting past. Then a few cyclists arrived (no surprise there) and started to have their lunch. Almost immediately a couple of Gulls appeared out of nowhere and landed on the rocks nearby...

Audouin's Gull

...part two tomorrow...

No comments: