Sunday 15 March 2015

Palma

Wires crossed regarding the s'Albufera review...that comes later...I blame the travel...plus


THE CONCERT



I was privileged to see the great man on Friday night in Liverpool. The last great Motown legend (I don't use that word lightly). A night I will remember for the remainder of my days...

Anyway...

5th March

The plan today was to visit Porto Colom to try for Balearic Warbler. The weather wasn't great as we left our place but we were hoping things would improve...they didn't...so plan B was activated! We decided to head for Palma (major points scored).

The Cathedral
On the way I consulted "the Bible"...otherwise known as "the Gosney Guide" which mentioned a reservoir...Bassa de Can Guidet. Dave had seen good numbers of Black-necked Grebes here, so it was worth a visit...if we could find it. Took a while but eventually I found a spot from were I could get a decent view.


 It was very dark now and raining hard so we headed for the centre. When we emerged from the underground car park we got a nice surprise...


...not the average view when emerging from a car park...

After lunch the weather was no better so we drove back north to the digs and I dropped Louise off. She decided to use the facilities including having a Sauna. Not for me.

I ventured out again to try and find access points to the Albufereta situated around our resort. The rain had eased somewhat but the light was still poor. Yet again using the Gosney guide I managed to find a viewpoint over part of the reserve. The first birds I saw looking out of the car window...


A bit bedraggled in the rain but a nice bonus on a poor day. A better view...


A bit more limited exploring trying to find the "famous" raised mound! I eventually found it through a small conifer copse but more importantly I found this rather wet individual...

Stone Curlew

No comments: