Saturday, 25 July 2026

Duff Tick

It was time for my fortnightly visit to my Mother's on Wednesday, so I stopped off at Duff on the way. I'd arranged to meet Haydn, although we hadn't confirmed. I was pretty sure he'd be there and sure enough I received a messages around 9. As I was waiting at Howden Level Crossing I received an update informing me he''d found a Cattle Egret with the Cattle feeding on the River bank!!!Over the past few weeks we'd discussed the chances of one turning up among this herd! This Species was high on the "What's Next" List.

It took me another 20 minutes to reach the Car Park and I made my way steadily towards the Hide. I was fairly confident it would hang around under the circumstances? On arrival Haydn and Oliver Metcalfe were looking at the Bird, doing what Cattle Egrets do! Fortunate timing! I have to be honest and say it would have been nice to find it myself but if I'm going to be "gripped off", I'm glad it was Haydn! I let Elaine know and she soon joined us to enjoy the Bird.

This was my 172nd Species for the Reserve and my 106th for the Year.


Haydn recently managed to grab a pic' of the "rare" Reed Warbler...

Only my 2nd record!

Inbetween my charging around recently, I managed a few pics of local stuff that I thought was worth sharing. A couple of Butterflies right in front of the Hide...

Painted Lady

Peacock

I also had a close encounter with a Leveret as I was driving through the Village. It ended up on next door's driveway before safely disappearing back into the fields...

Cute!

It's not ALL Birds...

No comments: