Tuesday, 28 July 2026

BCBE (2)

"It's back"...as they say. Well, not quite!? It's turned up on an adjacent Island, namely Sanday!!

As usual, initially thinking 100%...NO. Then after chewing it over I started to look at the logistics. After missing it by a day on Papa, I'd understandably dismissed the chances for another year. Lamentable.

I made several enquiries both online and over the phone and it became clear it was a "Bridge too Far" for yours truly. I could have made it onto the Island sometime tomorrow afternoon but too many variables meant no attempt would be made. I like to think I'm made of strong stuff BUT there are limits on occasion and this is definitely one of them.

Basically it would have meant a c12 hour solo drive to the North Coast of Scotland. Then a Ferry to Orkney ((c90 mins) plus a taxi to Kirkwall (30mins). Then, a 2 hour afternoon Ferry to Sanday plus a Bus to the area... eventually!!! When I write it down, it seems even more crackers lol!

It IS my "most wanted" BUT this Scenario is beyond my compass. As I write (6.45pm) the Bird has disappeared BUT I reckon there's hardly anyone looking and it's a BIG Island. So, it could still be there, somewhere? Time will tell. If anyone has made the Trip, you deserve it!

That's twitching for you. No guarantee. Haydn texted me reminding me of the "enjoyment" factor. He's spot on. This would have been an ordeal NOT an adventure...

No comments: