Wednesday 10 January 2024

Absolutely Fabulous

I never liked that programme...unsurprisingly!

More later.

This morning we had to go into Hull to pick Louise's MMM (money making machine) up from the Doctors. As much as I love my wonderful GSD, I felt the journey in would be more relaxed without him on this occasion...if you get my drift! As I walked him down Seaside Road I noticed a typical mixed Winter flock containing around a dozen LTT plus a few Blue and Great Tits. As I didn't have my bins (sacrilege) I obviously wasn't getting great views as they actively fed around me.  Could there be anything...else? A Bird then flew across and landed on the trunk of a small tree...yep...Treecreeper! (P.61, H.34). A wonderful start to the Day.

After picking the car up, we had the obligatory Costa. I then headed for Halfords for a headlight bulb and Louise returned home. The weather then took a turn for the better as I headed East. This time I had my gear with me so I decided to detour via Stone Creek, hoping to add Hen Harrier to the old Year List? When I arrived the sun was shining brightly and there was little wind...lovely!

Another bonus was there wasn't a soul in sight, so parking wasn't a problem. 

The next couple of hours turned out to be one of the best experiences I've had in my Birding...and I don't say that lightly. If you've followed me for any length of time you know I enjoy ALL aspects of this wonderful Pastime. I guess the thrill of the experience depends on the circumstances on any particular occasion. This occasion turned out to be VERY special indeed!

I drove South along the arrow straight Cherry Cobb Sands Road, the advantage of this road is you can see long distances in both directions which allows the odd glance over the terrain as you go. There's limited areas in which to park especially due to the verges still being soft. I managed to find a spot to park and started to scan. It was a beautiful Winter's afternoon.

As you know I've paid a few visits here recently and enjoyed stunning views of the Rough-legged Buzzard in November. It's great to have the Coast and the Estuary to Bird. There have been Short-eared Owls in the area for quite some time attracting many Birders and Photographers. Eventually I picked one up in the distance...


I watched it for a while before it appeared to land further down the road. I drove down to the next spot but I couldn't see it. I searched some more. We've all been there with the "what's that shape" scenario...I picked up a couple of nice looking rocks! Then...

That ain't no rock!

A closer view and a tell-tale eye below...

Two!

The more I looked...the more I saw!!! Incredibly, I eventually saw SIX within a 20 yard area. They seemed totally unconcerned by my presence. Below are a selection of images taken, hopefully giving an illustration of their superb camouflage...definitely worth a "click"...









Eventually a lady dog walker passed and they were gone! To spend over an Hour watching these stunning Birds in the sunshine was truly special. Something to savour forever...


No comments: