Tuesday 5 December 2023

Definitely There rather than Here!

Studying the volatile weather forecasts last night, I was leaning towards a trip inland this morning. Opening the curtains and looking at the latest projections cemented my initial instincts. It looked grim... VERY GRIM. Although the moderate NE wind made me waver momentarily. A report of a Cory's Shearwater North past Spurn also made me wonder?

Anyway, my mind was made up and I headed for NDC.

I arrived at 10 and walked Bud out to the Platform. It was fairly overcast but there was little wind and the prospect of brighter skies later was encouraging. Nothing of significance was noted. A working group of LDV volunteers were active around the car park but fortunately the GS Hide was quiet. A couple of Greenfinches near the door were noteworthy.

I set my stall out and started to scan. The water level is still extremely high and Goldeneye were noted immediately, with a couple of fine Drakes close (for Duff) to the Hide...


I was then joined by John Heaton who lives just down the road. It was good to see him again. We chatted about various things "Birdy" and he complemented me on my Blog, which was appreciated. We picked up some Red Kites, Marsh Harriers and Buzzards distantly to the North but most of the Wildfowl was tucked up to the far NW of the reserve. The light was improving slightly but viewing was still challenging. 

Another Birder arrived as we continued to scan the Birds. It's deceptive here, as the more you look the more you discover. John then had to leave and he joked that I'd find something just after he'd gone. Turns out...I did!!!

30 seconds after the door closed I was looking at a Scaup (103), the  white "blaze" standing out clearly even at distance. I called John back and tried to relocate it.  The first bird I "got on" was a... Red-breasted Merganser (104)!!!

A crazy few minutes. Exciting stuff! My third record for the reserve of the former and my second of the latter.

The hoped for "deep water Species" were turning up. John then left for good happy with his haul. Another couple arrived shortly afterwards and I found the RBM for them but alas I couldn't relocate the Scaup. Around 30 Pochard (105) were also present.

I left for lunch in Selby just after 1. I was going to return but the clouds returned in force, so I headed home. As I reached Holderness, it got darker and wetter, backing up my decision to head inland.

A sunny day forecast here tomorrow...


No comments: