Monday 27 November 2023

York Area

Filthy weather here this morning, so I decided to head inland...through the filthy weather! Traffic was slow through Hull but I needed diesel. I eventually made it to Howden for breakfast...Greggs style!

It was still persisting it down as I reached Bubwith so I decided to head for Melbourne to see if the Waxwings reported there yesterday were still about? I pulled upon the main road by the Pub, gathered my gear and had a stroll. Access is always an issue in residential areas, as is privacy! Google Maps can help though these days and I found a footpath which led to Pocklington Canal which gave me a great view over the area. Almost immediately I spotted them in a tall bare tree around 100 yds away. As I raised my camera they flew off! 

I walked back to the car and looked up an alleyway...there they were again not 30yds away. However it seemed to be a driveway to a house. I walked gingerly up the driveway looking for signs of life which came in the form of a couple of barking dogs but no sign of anyone? I retreated and walked around the other side but I still couldn't see anyone. As I reached the alleyway again I could now see a man near the door. He opened it and I asked him if he was aware of the Waxwings? He said he was and I asked him if it was OK for me to get a photo or two. He said it was fine, so I thanked him and walked back up the alleyway and fortunately a few of them were still there....



I don't intentionally trespass under any circumstances, as I want a relaxing experience, free from hassle and this was such an occasion, even though the weather was still poor.

As I was "up this way" I continued to Fangfoss to see if the Bewick's Swans were still present. A Rare Species in Yorkshire these days...unfortunately. Again with the help of Google Maps I was satisfied I found the correct location but alas there was no sign of the Swans.

After grabbing some lunch at the "maze" of a Services at Pocklington, I headed for the Carrs arriving at 1. The rain had stopped but it was still very dull as I headed out towards the Platform. It was great to see good numbers of Winter Thrushes (c200) still aboutbut there was nothing else of note. The water level had dropped around 6 feet. A quick scan over the gloomy Carrs revealed plenty of Wildfowl now in residence. Good numbers of Whooper Swans (c80) were present in the far distance on Ellerton Ings.

Easily three figures of both Wigeon and Teal now and both common Species of Goose were well represented. I picked out a few distant Pintail and was chuffed to spot two pairs distantly in flight...


Scanning the far end (c1 mile) it was pleasing to see 3 Marsh Harriers together...


The Goldeneye flock had increased to a personal record count of 16 which included two adult males...here's one of them...


I headed for the car park at 3.30 enjoying large flocks of Lapwings coming in to roost on the banks...


That was that then, or so I thought. As I turned the corner a Barn Owl flew across the field and over the trees towards the Platform. I pursued it but couldn't re-locate.

Sunshine forecast tomorrow, so some coastal stomping will be the order of the Day...

No comments: