Tuesday 21 November 2023

Deep Water

I arrived at NDC at 12.30. We took a walk out to the Platform. As we emerged out of the bushes by the bridge...a HEN HARRIER flew directly over my head!!! I may have peaked too soon? The usual fumbling meant it was up, up and away before I managed a "grab". Still, at least I got something in focus...


Great to see this Bird is still around, despite the deep flood limiting hunting opportunities. It disappeared South East towards Bubwith...


I didn't see it again during my 3.5 hour visit. We had an hour on the Platform and the highlight was a male Marsh Harrier distantly over the flood....

Patient...and protective as ever!

The rest of the visit was spent in the Geoff Smith Hide. On entry another Birder was present. He informed me there were some Goldeneye at the far end. I had hoped the deep water might attract some diving Ducks and it seems it had. I soon located them with Ben's help. A record shot...


You'll have to take my word for it! This flock of 8 is the largest I've seen here.

I could see a large herd of Whooper Swans in the distance at Ellerton...but they don't count! Fortunately a lone Bird flew steadily West across the Reserve calling constantly. I just "caught" it...


The water level is still extremely high limiting habitat and therefore Species. The fringes are still attracting some Waders mainly Lapwings and some Wildfowl but not much actually OUT on the water. Still...what a view...


29 Species recorded

No comments: