Thursday 28 July 2022

Lincoln Green

One of my better Blog titles...I thought?

Up at 4.30 to take the old V70 for a service. I use a guy in Lincoln who specializes in Volvos; makes sense to me. After a disaster in Hull (the McDonald's drive through was closed for "repairs"? and I find the inside of these places a complete mystery) I continued in a foul mood towards Lincoln over the Humber Bridge. I finally got some Breakfast at 7.30...not happy!

Anyway, I left the car with my Mechanic at 8 (I wanted to be first "on" so I could get away early). I headed for the common land that I had visited on my previous visit...

...with my mate of course, who had stood for the entire journey...as is his want!! He also decided to be sick just before I was due at the Garage? It was an overcast morning but as you can see there was plenty of room and very few people about. I saw one jogger and three dog walkers during my 2 hour visit. There were also 4 workmen clearing ragwort (it's toxic to Horses and Cattle apparently). 

On my previous visit I'd heard a distinctive call a couple of times but I didn't have my gear with me and didn't see anything. This time I did...have my gear that is. Sure enough within 5 minutes I'd heard it again!

I scanned the area and to my surprise and delight, I saw a bird fly across the site exhibiting its distinctive undulating flight...and promptly disappear into some longer grass. I made my way across and fortunately relocated the bird...

Adult male Green Woodpecker

Of course he saw me and flew off strongly into the adjacent Arboretum trees were they undoubtedly nested. How do I know they had  nested? Well, there were FOUR of them!!! The Adults plus a juvenile male and female. How wonderful. The wait for my car was going to pass quickly...I hoped.

I mooched around the area exercising Bud and scanning the whole area regularly. No doubt due to the family group scenario (as Glen Hoddle would say) the birds were VERY vocal which obviously helped locate them. This is a shy and very wary Species. The open area (which used to be Football pitches - sign of the times?) was surrounded by mature trees. Thick cover on the Arboretum side and isolated ones elsewhere. There were a few telegraph poles...aka trees also!?

So, my challenge was to try and get a clearer view and maybe a decent pic or two. Should be good fun! It went well...VERY well. Here are some pics...

A distant view on a "tree"...

Dad feeding son...

Brother and Sister...

Son...

They'd spent their time feeding on the ground and then visiting various trees and poles on the perimeter. I decided to position myself against the Arboretum wall amongst some bushes, hoping I got lucky. I did...

Young man

Young Lady

I'm thinking the young are more approachable/naive? Who cares, these were the best views I've ever had of this Species. Adding another to my imaginary "Better views desired" list!

This wasn't how I thought the morning would go, which made the experience all the sweeter in such a peaceful setting...in the middle of the City!? Urban Birding at its best. I also saw a Buzzard and 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

You never know in this game...do you?

No comments: