Sunday 27 February 2022

Shakers

Another trip to the "dark side" on Friday to attend my former team mates surprise 70th Birthday party. A self-indulgent post this one (you may want to move on) but I felt it needed marking for posterity. 

As a Bury lad born and bred, I used to watch my home town team at Gigg Lane from the early 60's. Players of the ilk of Colin Bell, Alec Lindsey and Terry McDermott spring to mind. There were of course many others. I loved walking the half mile to the ground.. Most of my mates (understandably) went down to Old Trafford to watch George Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton but I remained faithful to my home town team. I did pop down occasionally when Bury were playing some distance away.

Keith Kennedy arrived at Bury in 1972 staying 10 years and making 405 appearances. I watched him play many times and eventually joined him at Gigg in 1978 after leaving College. He was a cultured full back with a sweet left foot. His brother Alan played for Liverpool and one of his lads Tom also played for Bury.

The night was a great trip down memory lane with a few other ex-team mates present, namely Steve Johnson, John Forest and Gerry Keenan. Many anecdotes were shared.

We share a love of German Shepherds and we used to exercise our first dogs (Max and Shane) on a local field after training. Happy memories and a great night...



No comments: