Friday 18 February 2022

Go West

Early start on Wednesday, arriving at NDC at 9. John Heaton was just going into the GS Hide as I arrived. He'd been down at Garganey Hide watching the Whooper Swans leave their roost. I just managed to catch the last few...


He also mentioned there were a good number of Curlews present. We had a good chat and thanks again for the kind words about the Blog...much appreciated. The usual fare was on show but I did add Fieldfare (51), Redwing (52) and Little Grebe (53) to the Year List before departing for my Mother's at 11.

A very pleasant lunch was had at the Swan and Cemetery on Manchester Road...

Fish Finger Sandwich

IPA

Up early again on Thursday morning to take on the M60 madness. My intention was to try for the BELTED KINGFISHER again but on receiving information on another LSW Site, I was tempted to the Warrington area. I was given the information in strictest confidence which I will be adhering too. I spent 5 hours at the site with a few other "in the know" hopefuls but the bird didn't show, as it had done the day before. It was good to bump into an old pal though which helped pass the time. I got great views of Nuthatch and numerous Treecreepers. A Peregrine also flew over high  Marsh and Willow Tit are both present here (unusual) but I didn't try the area they frequent, for fear of missing the Woodpecker! I saw Mistle Thrush (singing) and Siskin on my way back to the car.

A late return last night and an early dog walk this morning (which produced nothing of note) before I "batten down the hatches". We still have Twite and Snow Bunting at Old Hive Copse...which can't be bad!

No comments: