Wednesday 30 October 2019

Where was I?

Sting in the tail of the Autumn fun with a juvenile STELLER'S EIDER turning up on Westray, Orkney yesterday. Intermittent reports from different locations are confusing matters somewhat but it was reported at dusk again this evening at its original location...Loch of Swartmill...although it was flushed by some kids in a boat and flew towards Papa Westray!? All the very best to those who have travelled and are maybe going to do so. I won't be one of them.

Personal circumstances and a forthcoming trip next week to see my son in the UAE (more later on that one) means an attempt is impossible. I'm rather keen, as you know but I can say no...and I have done. Maybe it will winter there, so I can make the trip in December? There have been long-stayers in the past. There's optimism for you!!

Back to reality.

Yesterday I had a wonderful time at my beloved NDC. I figured the Derwent may have burst its banks after the recent rain and on arrival, I was pleased to see that it had ...

Taken from Bubwith looking NW
I NEVER get tired of the views here.

A Stonechat was a nice surprise just after I'd taken this picture...


Onto Duff...

There's worse views!
I set my stall out and watched. I was delighted to see some Whooper Swans were in residence which was quite surprising considering the flood was relatively "new". Water was still flowing on to the Carrs and I was hoping it wouldn't get too deep as this isn't beneficial to many species feeding. Decent  numbers of waders were present... hour vigil but I reckoned on at least 45 birds

Ruff 25
Lapwing 1500
Golden Plover 85
Curlew 5
Dunlin 10
Snipe 1

Different groups of Whoopers came and went during my 5 hour vigil but I reckoned on at least 45 birds present. They are truly wonderful birds. They called regularly throughout my stay...Magic!

It's always nice to see something "different". Today was such a day. After scanning back and forward many times from the Geoff Smith Hide ...out of nowhere...

Great White Egret
Distant (as most things are here) but satisfying to FIND. It later transpires that there had been three in the Valley for a while (thanks Haydn)...but I didn't know that. Ignorance is bliss!

...and then there were two!


They must have been working the ditch. After watching them for around half an hour (and putting the news out) the local farmers tractor flushed them and they flew North...


Far more records theses days but still a fine sight, especially here! To be honest it's nice to remember when they were much scarcer/rarer. You appreciate the sighting more!

The Whoopers stayed in there usual area...


...there calls were easily audible.

Mid-afternoon I was rewarded with a fly-by as a group made their way onto Bubwith Ings...

A fine sight indeed
...then another group...


Great stuff!

Obviously I'm biased BUT I love the fact that these magnificent birds have been returning to NDC/LDV since time immemorial and I've had the privilege to watch them for 33 years!

I'm back over tomorrow to meet Haydn on Skippy to try again for my York Area Raven. No doubt I'll be popping in to NDC again...

NDC Year 75

No comments: