Friday 2 November 2018

WHITE-TAILED EAGLE - Village tick!!!

After a busy three days I had a full day free to enjoy the wonderful late Autumn sunshine....and there were some "good birds" about.

It's been a few years since I had an encounter with a Great Grey Shrike (P.174, S.126). One had been present by the riding Stables at Easington for a few days, so this was my first port of call. There was no sign of the bird for a good 30 minutes then someone picked it up perched distantly in a hedge with some Fieldfares. I left the group and walked down the track to try and photograph some groups of winter thrushes. As I was doing this the GGS flew by and perched in a bush some 30yds away...


Next it was onto the Canal path at the triangle. I was optimistically hoping for a sighting of the Bearded Tits that had been reported. No joy but I had a chat with Steve Exley and Rich Swales before heading back to Easington to try for the Pallas's Warbler (P.175, S 127). Again no sign on arrival and I was the only Birder present! Eventually a few more started to turn up. After around 45 minutes Frank Moffat impressively heard it calling and sure enough we located it on the rear of the footpath hedge. The bird performed brilliantly in the sunshine for the next 20 minutes. It was however VERY active. I did manage to "catch" it on a few occasions...








Always good to see one of these little gems in a years Birding.

Home for lunch and Dog walk. I decided to try for the Snow Buntings (P.176, H.127) that Richard had found this morning. We headed South from School Lane enjoying the still, superb Autumn weather. Around 300 yds into our walk I picked up a single male flying strongly across the stubble field. It landed a fair distance away and despite trying I couldn't relocate it. Great to have them locally...hope they stick around?

We started our return to the Village. About half way back a dark raptor caught my eye approximately 800ydsoffshore moving away. My first thought was...Marsh Harrier. Scale can be misleading, especially were sea and sky are involved. That's my excuse anyway! Fortunately I had some remaining power in my camera...I managed a few shots before it died. The bird headed strongly out to sea in a North Easterly direction?

When I reached the car I loaded a new battery and checked the images. I only had one decent picture...BUT it was enough...those FINGERS!!!


News was now coming through from a jubilant Spurn. It was all becoming clear. I had "found" a WHITE-TAILED EAGLE (HL.163, P.177, H.128) in Holmpton!!! I immediately put the news out and gave the direction the bird was travelling in. Sure enough it was later seen at Flamborough (making a lot more Birders very happy)...where it roosted. Guess where I'll be at dawn!

This has to be my best "find" and the fact it was in my Village, makes it twice a sweet. A BIG sighting in every way...

No comments: