Thursday 26 July 2018

An inspiring beach walk

Yet another glorious day here at Holmpy. We suffered in the Spring BUT things have been great for weeks now weather wise. No stifling humidity here...well not much. 20c this morning and the beach to ourselves...

 

I decided to walk North towards With' as the tide was ebbing. It soon became apparent that there was a movement of waders south. In the next couple of hours I can safely say I had the best Birding experience since I moved here 6 years ago!

Why?

Well...it was the views I had. Streams of waders zooming along the beach...yes, the beach!!! Maybe they mistook the still waterlogged section for sea...who knows...but it was a thrilling experience. Below is a list of the birds I saw...

Oystercatcher 52
Grey Plover 15
Knot 4   (The highlight as they flew low over my head. All summer plumage!)
Sanderling 15
Dunlin 85
Bar-tailed Godwit
Black-tailed Godwit 4
Redshank 2
Turnstone 15
Yellow-legged Gull
Little Tern
Common Tern

I also had 8 Common Scoter S and a cc Marsh Harrier on my way back to the car...


Then as if to confirm my luck was in today a brief spell in the garden produced a lovely young Willow Warbler...


A guess I chose the right day to kick start my "second-half". Always great to see good numbers of birds on your "doorstep".

Holmpton Year list 91
Patch 132

No comments: