Saturday 19 March 2016

Texas 16 - Hunt for the Blue 1

I had 3 ABA targets. The Common Crane had bit the dust. As already stated the other two are in "the Valley" were we are now. My main target had to be the Blue 1. So it was off to Frontera Audubon for 8. It's a cracking little reserve which has had some excellent rarities over the years. In 2005 and saw a male Crimson-collared Grosbeak, White-throated Thrush and Elegant Trogon there!!! So it was great to be able to re-visit eleven years later.

The lad in charge was just opening up as I arrived and there was one female birder present. She informed me she'd spent the whole day looking for the Blue 1 yesterday to no avail!! Not the start I needed. I decided to stake out the area were the bird had been reported on eBird by birders who DID see it yesterday. Namely the NE corner of the inner thicket.

No luck in 90 minutes before I returned for breakfast at our Best Western in McAllen. This motel just happens to be next to a mega Mall which Louise spent the next 7 hours in while I returned to Frontera to continue my vigil. The good old weather forecast had predicted heavy cloud and thunderstorms, the main reason why she had chosen today for (well deserved) retail therapy. More on how things turned out weather wise later.

Back to the NE corner then after passing the lady birder who'd seen the bird briefly by the orchard at 8.15! I was genuinely pleased for her after her efforts yesterday.

Now for my effort.

I slowly patrolled the area checking low (were I briefly saw an Ovenbird) as well as the bushes as it feeds on the ground. Nothing by noon as the temperature soared into the 90's as the sky cleared. I was cooking. Thankfully there was a bench in the shade. I did see some great birds however.

Buff-bellied Hummingbird...


White-eyed Vireo...


This bid was singing it's head off but was extremely mobile and hard to pin down in the heavy vegetation. So I was amazed when I looked at these images. The little Pany strikes again!

A beautiful bird...


I must admit I was flagging in the high temperature as there was little shade and I hadn't connected by 2pm. A few other birders had arrived but none had connected. Time for some much needed refreshment in the visitor centre.

Great Kiskadee is a flagship species in the RGV and they are present on this reserve...


I even found a nest. An amazing structure...full of natural and man-made items...


Still no Blue 1.

I don't give up easily though. 2.30 came and went. Still no sign. Still more wonderful species were seen though to keep me occupied.

Long-billed Thrasher...


Love Thrashers. This bird has a wonderful thrush-like song which it belts out for long periods. Woodpeckers were present also. I give you the fabulous Golden-fronted...


2.55.

My umpteenth small circuit. Should I try another spot. Always a dilemma. No, I'll stick it out.



Something Blue?

Surely not...



Oh YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

There it was. It silently hopped through the thick cover about 5 yards away. One of my best moments. A fabulous deep blue bird and an ABA MEGA to boot. Could/would I get better views. Birders had posted that it didn't hang around. Almost always disappearing as quickly as it appeared.

A ghostly image...


I just couldn't get a clear shot. Then...I did...


BLUE BUNTING. ABA 670, Texas 448.

Oh Happy Day!

Stay tuned...





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Blue Bunting! Buff Bellied hummingbird with the click click call announcing its arrival, doesn't get any better than that!

Pam said...

Fantastic, isn't a joy when you see that one bird you've had your fingers crossed for!