Friday 4 December 2015

WALLCREEPER

Today I met Dave Walker outside the Hotel at 9 and we made our way to the Avagas Gorge to look for the elusive Wallcreeper. I guess it's probably one of the most sought after birds there is. I was lucky enough to see a family in the French Pyrenees when my lads were young but that was over 20 years ago!

We arrived around 9.30 and started our walk up the spectacular gorge...


It was an uncomfortable journey, with frequent stops...but I made it, eventually. We were in position for 10.30...


...but there was no sign of any birds except he large flock of Jackdaws. We then saw Robin...


Wren and Grey Wagtail. Local birds making the most of the micro-climate.

Still no sign by 11. Then, there it was...


David had gone on ahead but was on his way back as we both picked it up simultaneously! Quite a moment for yours truly as I'm sure you can imagine. Since my initial sighting all those years ago, I've looked for this bird with no success on several occasions, so today was special, very special. High fives with David!!

Below are a few passable images from different distances and angles that I managed to grab over the next few hours. Considering the distance and the constant shade they're not too bad. We definitely saw 2 birds...






 


What a bird...


I even managed a hand held video clip...I think! See below...

No comments: