Monday 28 December 2015

NDC

With the recent deluge firmly in mind I made my way over to my favourite birding seat in the Geoff Smith hide at North Duffield Carrs. So many memories over the past 27 years!

The Derwent had burst it's banks and was flowing steadily onto the Carrs...great stuff!

10.30
That's the birding canvas sorted for the next few months. Short term it will be a giant lake, much to deep for feeding for most species but once it settles, it will be fine.

No sign of any Whoopers but Pintails were well represented with at least 70 birds present...


I had a walk down to Garganey hide (while I still could). The water level was rising...fast! This was the view as I opened the flap...


There was more wildfowl present than I anticipated which was pleasing. The usual suspects but plenty to scan through. Around 1 I returned to the GS hide. The force and noise of the water was far greater now...


There were multiple bursts along the bank...


It was still VERY gloomy but the show was spectacular. I then heard a familiar sound...through the dead branches way over the far side of the scrape I spotted a Kingfisher...


I haven't been very lucky with this species at NDC so any sighting is a special occasion. I was hoping (as always) for a closer view but as I had this thought, it flew off over the river. Fortunately, it returned 10 minutes later and this time it was closer...


...then closer still, if partially hidden...


It returned for one more show perching on a bullrush...


A puzzled Snipe waited for the inevitable moment when it had to vacate...


After a chip butty in Selby I returned but a group had arrived so I decided to head home. As I passed over the bridge at Bubwith it was clear the water was still rising...


I managed to increase my NDC year list to a very modest 49. I missed the summer!!

No comments: