Tuesday 10 November 2015

CRAG MARTIN - Inspired!

I returned today with the aid of some painkillers and an early start!

I set myself up on a bench in the Church grounds around 9.30 and waited. Thankfully there was no rain in sight although it was very overcast. The bird soon appeared and started dashing around the crooked spire...


It was fast...very fast! The good news was it was obviously feeding well in the amazingly mild weather. It reached 18C!! The bird did disappear on occasions but was on view for long periods albeit distantly. I obviously wasn't going to be chasing it around the Church so I just waited on my bench hoping to get a pic. The skies were grey and the light was poor.

I wasn't expecting to get anything decent...and I wasn't to be disappointed! There are some great efforts online.

This was my one and only decent capture of the morning...


Then around 12.30 I noticed a shuffle of birders. I guessed it had landed on the tower...it had...just under twenty to...


It did take some seeing!

A "slightly" better image...


It was a real bonus to see the bird perched. At least it was still! Then the bell tolled and it was off again. It doesn't roost on the Church, I'm thinking this is why.

I resumed my seat. This was my view...


The bird never came close unfortunately. My little camera managed to pull this one out of the bag. Impressive considering the distance...


Heavily cropped granted but pretty sharp and the tail is clear. I was pleased to get something and equally pleased to enjoy a decent amount of time with this MEGA. A much better experience than in Leicestershire all those years ago. It just needs to move slightly North to Yorkshire now.

As I was leaving a curious couple asked me what the attraction was (they weren't the first). I gave them a hopefully brief account. They started to walk away when the bloke turned and said "so it's lost is it?". I nodded. "It must be a female then!" Brave man.

No comments: