Thursday 15 October 2015

Scilly 2015 - Day 7

We decided to go over to Bryher today as a few"good birds" had been seen there yesterday. Principally Melodious Warbler and Red-breasted Flycatcher, Louise being quicker than me these days made her way to the Quay and joined the queue for the tickets. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to get back till gone 4 due to the tides. We had a quick chat and decided (it was me to be honest) not to bother as I didn't want to be stranded on Bryher if something BIG broke.

News came over the radio of a couple of Ring Ouzels in the allotments on Penninis. I decided to try for them. Louise stopped off at Dibble and Grub (cafe) for a Mocha and I clambered up into the allotments. Not before we'd enjoyed the spectacular view over Porthcressa Bay...

St Agnes, the Garrison, Hugh Town and Buzza Tower
As I entered the allotments the Royal Navy helicopter that had been present for a day or two now flew over...


A fine sight...unfortunately it was the end of my chances of a sighting of the RO as I later found out that it had flushed it off the wire below Buzza Tower minutes before I arrived! As we were on Penninis we decided to spend the morning there. I t would have been rude not to stop for a further peep at the BLYTH'S PIPIT. How soon a great bird becomes "yesterday's papers" as we were the only two there!! I managed to find it fairly quickly and it was reasonably close to the footpath.

I enjoyed a marvelous hour with the bird all to myself as it fed in the three fields on the west side of the headland. My current state has enforced prolonged patience and has allowed me to study birds at much greater length. Basically I can't move far so I watch longer!!

The thing that I really noticed was how long-legged the bird was. It would stride easily through the grass and regularly stand tall for a look around.

Below are a series of poses I manged to catch the bird in...








Nothing new was breaking so we enjoyed a full day around the headland. I didn't bother trying to see the Red-throated Pipit, I'd had enough yesterday! There was a report of a Hen Harrier flying high over the Garrison but I couldn't get on it. We decided to walk back down King Edwards Road and fortunately found the SEO, my third sighting in 3 days...



Things hotted up late afternoon with news of a Siberian Stonechat along Pungies Lane. I could have tried to get a taxi I guess but to be honest I'd had it by now (6pm). This news was followed shortly after by a MEGA alert. A HUDSONIAN WHIMBREL on Tresco!

Hopefully 2 birds to try for tomorrow...

No comments: