Friday 24 April 2015

Oh what a beautiful mornin'

Have to confess I didn't make the intended early start this morning on the second of my 6 day break. I blame it (justifiably?) on events earlier in the week!

Anyway, it was a glorious day so grabbed some breakfast and the dog and made my way down to Kilnsea Wetlands, arriving around 10.

It was obvious migrants were about from the start...

Wheatear (P.78, S.50) on Kilnsea Wetlands hide!
Fortunately it hung around long enough for me to get a better pic...


I counted 8 birds in the immediate vicinity of the hide. Not bad!

Here are 3 together...


A couple of Plovers whizzed in. The hoped for LRP's didn't materialize but smart just the same...

Ringed Plover
The Avocets (P.79, S.51) were looking dapper too...this one was a cracker feeding by the hide.


News then came over the radio of a Whinchat (P.80, S.52) by the listening dish. It was showing on the fenceposts but became more distant by the time I'd arrived...looking into the sun didn't help...not that I'm complaining about sunshine you understand!!

Jewel of a bird
More news, handy these radios! 2 Ring Ouzels (P.81,S.53) at Big Hedge.Took a while with a few stops but I eventually made it. Bud helps as he pulls me along! Almost immediately I had a female in the hedge...


Male....


Really pleased with this sighting as I don't seem to have much luck with this elusive species. Better was to come as they hung around the area feeding out in the open for a good 30 minutes. Then both together...


I was having quite a morning.

I then picked up a Hobby (P.82, S.54) over the Crown and Anchor as I was walking back to the car! It drifted off towards Sammy's before I could get a pic. I also picked up Cuckoo (P.83, S.55), Blackcap (P.84, S.56), Lesser Whitethroat (P.85, S.57) and 3 Buzzards drifting north (S.58).

Mornings like this make me realise how lucky I am to live in such an area.

To top it off I'm driving past the Gas Terminal when a large thrush lifts out of the grass and lands on a light...

Mistle Thrush (P.86, S.59)
No big deal area record wise BUT I don't see many migrants, so well chuffed!


No comments: