Sunday 17 August 2014

British Bird Watching Fair - a change of mind!

Old school title!

Woke up early this morning and made a typically impulsive decision to have a ride down to Rutland. The decision was partly fuelled by the imminent visit of yet another tradesman.  Hope you've had better luck with your selections that I have lately! Enough said.

Having said that I had a great team sort my roof out. Justroofing thoroughly recommended! Didn't need another day of bang and crash...so I left Louise to sort this one out!!

Double sausage Mc (no egg) and coffee and I was on my way south. I arrived around 9.30 and headed straight for the optics tent for a play. I just can't resist. My optics history is a long one which I won,t bore you with. Suffice to say that I've spent/wasted a fair amount dithering over "the best" bins.

Comparing models and makes is difficult...for me at least. 8 or 10, 32 or 42, bulk, flat field etc etc. I took my beloved 8x32 trinnies (purchased off Ebay for £400) to compare with the latest stellar models. The latest offering comes from Zeiss, the SF model. Modestly advertised as "the world's best binoculars". They should be at £2,000+!!!

I spent a relaxing hour visiting the various stands which we're surprisingly and pleasingly quiet. So, what did I think I hear you cry? Still not sure...and that's the point. None of them warrant spending between £1,500 and £2000 updating my Trinovids. In fact my little gems outperformed some of them...which was very pleasing and slightly perplexing. Some are definitely brighter, which should mean better? Not for me. I don't do longwinded.

Resolution is the key - defined as "the fineness of detail that can be distinguished in an image". Isn't that what we Birders require the most?

So, I saved myself a fortune. That's paid for the Mallorca holiday...







No comments: