Sunday 3 August 2014

A few bits from across the water

MEGA action Stateside with a SALVIN'S ALBATROSS (a recent split) being seen in California.

Another was found in Texas...in the form of a COLLARED PLOVER.

Not rare BUT an amazing record so far North was a breeding pair of MISSISSIPPI KITES in Manitoba, Canada!!!

Where's our BIG 1?

My village Tawny Owls are very vocal at the moment. So tonight I'm going Owling. Much more of a challenge than my other local Owls but should be fun...weather permitting of course! Still, I won't have far to go if it rains. Reminds me of some fantastic memories Owling stateside with some brilliant birders.

Might have mentioned this before?

In the summer of 2008 Lance Benner took me up into the San Bernardino Mnts, above Los Angeles looking for Northern Saw-whet Owls. We'd looked for hours with no luck and it was nearly mid-night when I had to leave. We tried one last spot. He whispered to me that he'd heard something (I couldn't hear a thing). He shone his torch up into a tree...


It was a truly magical moment...

No comments: